Thursday, May 24, 2012

Don’t Forget Your Rock Juice! – A Review of The New Colony and Baliwick Chicago’s Rise of the Numberless


Photo by Anne Petersen

The moment I walked into the small, dark, crowded, derelict studio space and took my seat, I
knew that this was going to be one hell of a rock show. The performance begins as soon as you
walk in. I even shared a pull of whiskey from my flask with a cast member before the show
began. “Gotta warm up my chords with some rock juice,” he said to me as he quickly downed a
solid, manly, rock gulp.

The show begins with the bang of the doors shutting. It becomes very apparent that we are now part of a revolution (in the not too distant future). The rock show is a rebel PSA / history lesson of how The Numberless became public enemy number one. I’m not going to tell you the plot
of the story, like most reviews do, but I will say that it is an epic journey. Monster rock ballads,
great lights, and really intense breaks in the action make for a truly heavy ensemble performance.

I thoroughly had a fun experience. The story isn’t exactly complex or lengthy, but it is original,
and for that The New Colony and Baliwick Chicago get mad props. Besides it’s a rock show, not
Shakespeare, so what do you expect? Go see it. You’ll have a blast, leave the kids at home, and
don’t forget your rock juice.

Find half price tickets HERE

Rush Marler

No comments:

Post a Comment